How To Help Prevent Acid & Enamel Erosion
Acid erosion happens when acids present in certain foods and drinks weaken the enamel surfaces of your teeth. Your body cannot replace this enamel, so it is important to seek help so you know how to help prevent acid and enamel erosion today.
Here are some very simple steps we can all take to protect your enamel from acidic foods and drinks and find ways on how to help prevent enamel erosion from ever starting:
1. Make an appointment to see your dentist if you haven’t been in the past 6 months.
2. There’s no need to give up all acidic foods in your diet - but take a fresh look at how you eat it. If you’re eating something acidic, have cheese, milk, or another non-acidic food or drink with it. Try not to have frequent acidic snacks.
3. Use a straw when consuming acidic drinks and don't swill them around or hold them in your mouth. Try not to brush your teeth immediately after eating or drinking anything acidic and make sure you’re using a soft-bristled brush.
4. Use Sensodyne® Pronamel® toothpaste as your daily fluoride toothpaste. It has been specifically designed to help protect tooth enamel against the effects of acid erosion. Learn more about our science and how Pronamel® can strengthen tooth enamel.
5. Consider using Pronamel mouthwash along with a fluoride toothpaste to give you protection from the effects of everyday dietary acids.